Welcome! Bettr Coffee Co.
The December Coffee Dripper, a kickstarter by coffee aficionado and co-founder of Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters, Nicholas Cho. The flat-bottomoed coffee dripped allows for an even brew where the water interacts with all of the coffee consistently. The variable aperture base makes the December Dripper standout amongst other drippers. It allows the user to change the number of openings at the bottom, altering the flow of water through the dripper.
Possibly the biggest impact the December Dripper has on our standard brewing parameters is its unique ability to brew small doses with coarse grounds. Brew time is an important factor in extraction, and we’ve found filter coffee can taste much sweeter when its contact time with water is extended to 3:00-4:00 minutes. The December’s flow-restricting gasket makes this possible with doses as small as 10 grams. For slightly larger doses (around 25 g) try using setting #2 during the “brew” phase.
Grind Size: Medium, somewhere between table salt and kosher salt in size (show picture of grind size)
Brew Ratio: 1: 17g
Brew Time: 3-4 mins
Temperature: 90° C
1. Bring water to 91° C and weigh out 20g of coffee grinding it to medium
2. Prepare december dripper set up, put the filter paper (185 kalita wave) into the Dripper
3. Wet the Filter paper to get rid of the paper taste and dispose the water
4. Place coffee grounds into the dripper and give it a tap for an even distribution
5. Tare the weighing scale
6. Start the timer and start pouring in circles, saturating the grounds evenly until reaching 30-40grams
7. Starting out with the valve closed for the bloom allows the coffee to become more fully saturated.
8. Open the valve up to setting #1 for your first 1-2 pours and let it drain a bit more slowly than usual.
9. Stop when the scale reaches 300g and allow the water to drain (the brew process should be drained by 3:30. You should see an even bed of coffee.