Welcome! Bettr Coffee Co.
Combining seeping and dripping, the Clever Dripper gives the barista the control to brew that perfect cup. A stopper, that only opens when placed ontop of a cup or decanter, allows the barista to decide how long to seep coffee before dripping. The Clever Dripper is perfect for making a single cup of coffee or two to share.
1. Bring water to 91° C and weigh out 22g of coffee grinding it medium to coarse
2. Take the paper filter (Melita) and fold the bottom seam over one time and then fold the side side over once. This helps the filter best fit into the Clever.
3. Put the paper filter into the Clever Coffee Dripper. Wet the paper filter with hot water to eliminate a paper taste in your coffee. Pour the hot water out.
4. Put the Clever Coffee Dripper and it’s coaster onto your scale and tare to zero. TIP: Be sure the cup/mug you are using can hold the amount of water you plan to brew with the coffee AND that the Clever fits properly on top of it.
5. Pour the freshly grounded coffee into the Clever Coffee Dripper with the wetted filter. Tare the scale back to zero.
6. Start a timer. “Bloom” the coffee grounds by pouring 75-100 g of water (for 22 g of coffee) onto the grounds taking care to wet the grounds evenly. Let the coffee bloom for 15 sec. Then give the bloom a five back and forth stirs with a spoon (one stir is a back and forth).
7. Using a continuous circular motion, pour the water over the coffee. Pour water until you reach the desired weight (e.g. 365-374 g of water for 22 g of coffee - the 1:17 ratio is 374g but once you get your technique down, feel free to experiment - we recommend 365g of water for 22 g of coffee yields a very good cup with Clever Drippers). The fill should put your timer at the one minute mark.
8. Stir filled coffee slurry with a second round of five back and forth stirs with a spoon (one stir is a back and forth). Put the lid onto the Clever Dripper.
9. Once your timer reaches the 2 minute mark (including the bloom time), take the Clever Coffee Dripper off the coaster and put it directly on top of your coffee cup so that the bottom mechanism is engaged and coffee starts dripping into your cup. Your coffee will be ready once the coffee has filtered through completely to the cup - about 3 and a half minutes. Lift the Clever lid and the grounds will appear moist without any liquid.